Dealing successfully with crisis is an essential part of doing business. In this book, 25 well-known Irish business leaders tell their own stories of how they survived and even thrived during moments of crisis. Alongside the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, other moments of crisis discussed include the 2008 financial crash, the September 11th attacks, and the 2010 ash cloud, along with more personal crises.
Crisis takes readers through the stages of a crisis: the initial reaction or the WTF moment; the leadership or the ‘we got this’ stage is where credibility is determined; the adaptation phase where decisions are made; the support stage, also known as the ‘who ya gonna call’ stage; and, finally, the review stage. Nobody gets everything right all of the time. Indeed in many crises the leader is literally writing the rule book at each stage, hence the value of reading about the contributors’ experiences.
Crisis features contributions from:
- Paul Reid – CEO of the HSE
- Anton Savage – Director, Communications Clinic and broadcaster
- Dermot Bannon – Architect and presenter of RTE’s Room to Improve
- Catherine Fulvio – Emmy-nominated chef and proprietor of Ballyknocken House
- Penny Mallory – Keynote speaker, TV presenter and former UK rally champion
- Eimear Noone – Orchestra conductor and composer; first female conductor at the Oscars
- Craig Stuart Garfinkle – Emmy-nominated composer and award-winning producer
- Gavin Duffy – Entrepreneur and former dragon
- Danny McCoy – CEO, Ibec
- Niall Gibbons – CEO, Tourism Ireland
- Niall Cody – Chairman of the Irish Revenue Commissioners
- Padraig O’Ceidigh – Founder of Aer Lingus Regional
- Professor Niamh Brennan – University College Dublin
- Kevin Rafter – Chair of the Arts Council of Ireland
- Jim Power – Leading economist
- Dr Rosalind Beere – CEO, Chi Fit
- Adrian Cummins – CEO, Restaurants Association of Ireland
- Duncan Graham – CEO, Retail Excellence
- Samantha Kelly – Social media expert
- Domini Kemp – Chef, food writer and managing director of the Itsa Food Group
- Pat McDonagh – CEO, Supermacs
- Neil McDonnell – CEO, ISME
- Mary McKenna – CEO, Tour America
- Eilis O’Leary – Deputy Head of Graduate Business School, Griffith College Dublin
- Maura Winston – Chief People Officer, Cairn Homes plc
Tom Maguire is a tax partner in Deloitte and leads its Tax Policy and Technical Services team. He is the current author of a number of Ireland’s leading books on taxation and has been described as one of this country’s pre-eminent tax commentators. He also writes a bi-weekly column on tax matters for the Business Post.
There are no reviews yet.